I. The organization shall be known as the Sampson County Historical Society.
II. The object of the society shall be the discovery preservation and dissemination of knowledge about the history of Sampson County, N. C., from its beginning.
- The membership shall consist of active and honorary members.
- Membership dues shall be twenty dollars for one year for individuals or for a married couple. Dues are for one year only. Membership includes four quarterly newsletters, The Huckleberry Historian. Members joining during the current year will receive a copy of any back issues of
- Persons are considered active members upon payment of membership dues.
- A person may become an honorary member by two-thirds vote of the members present at any regular meeting. Honorary members are not required to pay dues, and they have no power to vote unless they are active members.
- A member may be suspended by failure to pay dues by January 31 of new year.*
- The officers shall consist of a President, a First Vice-President, a Second Vice-President, a Secretary and a Treasurer.
- The executive board shall consist of the elected officers and four other members to be elected.
- All officers shall be elected for two years and shall not serve for more than two consecutive terms.
- Elections of officers shall be held at the first quarterly meeting every two years upon a majority vote of the members present, with the installation of the officers elect at the second quarterly meeting of each year.
- Vacancies may be filled by the Executive Board for any unexpired term.
V. Duties of Officers
- The President shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Society: preside at the meetings of the Society and the Executive Board: appoint the committees; and be an ex officio member of all committees.
- The First Vice-President shall preside in the absence of the President and shall be Chairman of the Program Committee.
- The Second Vice-President shall preside in the absence of the President and the First Vice-President and shall serve as Chairman of the Publicity and Education Committee.
- The Secretary shall keep the minutes of the Society meetings and the Executive Board meetings; Collect all dues; pay them over to the Treasurer; make quarterly reports and annually reports; and keep all Society records.
- The Treasurer shall safe-keep all funds and disburse same in accordance with the orders of the Society, and make annual reports thereof the Treasurer shall be able to give a current report to the Executive Board at all times.
- Permanent committees shall consist of the following: Membership, Publicity and Education, Preservation of Antiquities, Historical Markers, Restoration, Genealogy, Cemeteries, Program and Book Committee.
- The Committees shall be appointed by the SCHS officers as required.
- Regular Quarterly meetings will be held during the second week of January, April, July and October. The Executive shall determine the time and place of the meetings.
- A quorum shall be constituted by the presence of twelve active members at any meeting.
- Special meetings shall be called by the President with the approval of the Executive Board.
- The Executive Board shall meet upon the call of the President.
- Robert’s Rules of Order shall be observed as Parliamentary Authority for all meetings.
* Indicates changes (recorded in 4-11-15 minutes) made in the Constitution and Bylaws.