Anders/Andrews of Sampson County.
Around 1798, Whitmel Anders/Andrews arrived in the Keener Rd/Halls area of Sampson County North Carolina. (Noted in his son James’ 1880 census that stated his father’s birth place was Virginia, (most likely Surry or Northhampton.) He married Rebecca Williams daughter of Rev. Joseph Williams, of Keener Rd/Halls, Sampson County circa 1780. The earliest links to our line is William Andrews born 1598 in Cambridge England. His father John Andrews born 1555 in Cambridge. William and his brother James came to Jamestown, Vir. area around 1616 on a ship called “Treasurer”. John dies soon after arrival 16 March 1616. William was appointed commander of the district from Nassawattocks to Hungars in 1644. As Captain, he was appointed to command the military district of Hungars Creek in 1651. He was a Lieutenant Colonel with the militia by the time of his death in 1655. He lives and raises 4 boys and 4 girls in what is called Northampton County, Eastern Shore, Vir. The other possible was Thomas Andrews, who arrived in Jamestown abt 1634 and settled in Surry County Vir, born in Northhamption county England, DNA testing has shown our family match both men, which makes sense that they both came from the same line of Andrews living in the Rutland, Northamption, Cambridge, London area of the 1450.
The name Whitmel was not a name commonly used during that period. The only record of a man by that name is Whitmel Hill and Whitmill Andrews. Whitmel Hill was born in Bertie County NC in 1743(Hill family come out of Surry county), near the birthplace of Whitmill Andrews. He was a Colonel in the Martin County Militia during the Revolutionary War. He was also a representative for the Martin and Edenton Districts of the NC Provincial Congress, elected to the Senate, and held title as Speaker of the House in 1778.
In 1770 Abraham Andrews Sr. settled the Lyman, Chinquapin, Duplin County region of NC and his son Abraham Jr. named his son born abt 1801 Whitmel Andrews. In that era it was common to name a son after their uncles. Abraham Andrews Jr. is most likely the cousin of Whitmel Andrews who settled in Halls, Sampson County during 1798. The name Whitmill does run in Abraham’s family line, but not in the Whitmel line. Whitmel’s middle or first name may have been Hill or James, James is present in the Anders/Andrews family today.
The Deed of Records in 1801 shows Whitmel and his wife Rebecca purchasing 100 acres of land from Stephen King 1 mile east of Keener Crossroads, just past Ashford Road. He continued to buy land in the surrounding areas from Joseph Williams,(Rebecca’s Father), this 77ac is where the house was located and they are buried in field in front of house, Noah Belote, and George Hobbs totaling 400 acres. This included both sides of Keener Road bordered to the North by Wolf Branch and to the East by the curve at Keener Road. Whitmel and Rebecca had nine children, five sons, and four daughters. Out of the four girls only one name can be found. Mary Jane Anders/Andrews was born in 1807 and married into the Boyette family from Panhandle Rd. She had a daughter by the name of Jane Andrews born in 1841.
Whitmel and Rebecca’s 1st first born son, Henry Anders 1811-1850, married Catherine Ann Hope of Piney Grove. They bought 334 acres off of Goshen Church Road and Casey Road in 1836 from Allen King.Henry is buried there. They had one daughter Winnie Jane, born in 1846 who married Stephen Matlock. Winnie Jane and Stephen moved to Indiana raised their family.
1st son of Henry and Catherine is John Bryant Anders born 1841, prior to his first marriage, John Bryant served in the Civil War from 1861-1865 as a part of the Clinton F Company 20th Infantry Regt. as a Private and promoted to Corporal in 1863. He was captured at Rappahannock Station, Virginia in 1863 and sent to Old Capital Prison, Washington, DC. He then was taken to Point Lookout, Maryland in 1864 and was traded in 1865 for northern soldiers to then return home to Piney Grove, Sampson County and married his first wife Alicey McClenny about 1870 they relocated to Northern Clinton as farmers. They had six daughters and one son, Thomas Almon Anders who married Olivia Tew of Herring, Sampson County. Together Thomas and Olivia had 7 sons and one daughter. Later in life he moved to Clinton and opened a store on College Street. After the death of his first wife Alicey, John Bryant moved to a farm on the Keener Road/ New Church Road area. There he meet his second wife, Mary Ann Parsons. They had one daughter Evada Anders, who married Jessie James Starling and a son, Joseph Bernice Anders in 1890. Joseph Bernice married Annie Elizabeth Johnson in 1916. He moved his family to Erwin, NC to work in the textile mill where he died in 1932. Joseph Bernice and Annie Elizabeth had ten children. Their first-born was William Bryant born in 1916, who married Irene Aman. A second son, James Anders died 1 year after birth. Mary Louise born in 1922 and married Clayton Thigpen. Allie born 1923 died year later. His twin sister Addie married Elston Thornton. Harry Jefferson born in 1924 married Monica Lee Barfield. John Paul born in 1927 married Lena Mae Strickland. Ellis Lee born in 1929 married Mildred Hunter. Ellis’s twin sister, Ellen Marie married Beecher LeMaster. Elmon Jarvis was born in 1931 and married Alice Shirley Hunter.
At age of 17 Elmon Jarvis enlisted in the Army and was sent to Korea. Not long after his arrival North Korea invaded South Korea. He was a part of the beach landing at Incheon to reclaim Seoul, Korea. Elmon Jarvis was also involved in the sea landing at Wonsan Bay, North Korea and then marched to the border of China on the Yalu River. Upon arrival the troops were overrun by 300,000 Chinese soldiers who had joined the North Korean Army. The soldiers were forced to withdraw back to Hungnam Bay while being surrounded by the Chinese throughout the entire journey. This was known as the Chinese Trap. Following the invasion of the Chinese, Elmon’s number came up and he was able to return home to NC. Two months later he re-enlisted and joined a reserve unit in Oklahoma. That unit was sent to the 38th Parallel to fight the North Korean and Chinese Army’s until the ceasefire was agreed upon. He spent 20 years in the Army and retired as a 1st Sergeant (E-8) and settled in Stedman, NC. When his second cousin Fulton Carr dies he leaves Elmon Jarvis a piece of land located on Carr Church Road, where he built a house and still lives today. Fulton, Annie Elizabeth’s first cousin, helped look after the boys when she passed. Fulton’s father Richard Carr and Annie Elizabeth Johnson’s mother Lousia Carr were siblings. Their father was Michael Carr born in 1835 who married Patsy Elizabeth Bass. After the death of their father Joseph Bernice Anders, they moved back to Keener Road to live with Annie’s father William Johnson. In 1940 Annie Elizabeth died and her children had no caretakers. Joseph and Annie’s oldest son, William Bryant and oldest daughter, Mary Lou helped raise the younger children.
2nd son of Henry and Catherine is James Arthur born in 1842. James married Susan Weeks of Darden/Hunter/Carr Church Roads. They had 1 boy and 2 girls. He was a Private in the Civil War, I Company 20th Infantry of Clinton from 1861 – 1864.
3rd son of Henry and Catherine is Burrell born in 1847, married Virginia Catherine Raynor, of Newton Grove. They had three sons and one daughter. His family moved to Grantham, Goldsboro, and Wayne County.
4th son of Henry and Catherine is Henry William born in 1847, married Sophia Boyette and raised two daughters and three sons on Panhandle Road located in Halls, Sampson County. Two sons Robert Lee, Charles, and Robert’s son George Bennett are laid to rest on a ditch bank behind the old home place on Panhandle Rd. Sophia and Henry William along with other Boyette family members and two of his brothers, John Bryant and James, may be buried in the wooded area across the road from the old Albert Boyette house. The house is located at the crossroads of Panhandle Rd. and McCullen Rd
5th son of Henry and Catherine is Lewis David born in 1849 and married Annie McLamb, they moved to Goldsboro and raised four daughters and three sons.
Henry Anders/Andrews also had four sons with Rebecca Elizabeth Jackson. 1st son Henry Allen was born in 1841 and married Mary Polly Hudson. They had one son James William born just before he left for the war and raised in Piney Grove. Military records show that he was in the Confederate Army in 1862 at the age of 21 with Company C 38th NC Infantry as a Private. He fell ill almost immediately after entering and was confined to a military hospital in Petersburg, Virginia and died in 1862. 2nd son born in 1846, Edward Devane married Nancy Sutton and raised 6 boys and 1 girl Faison, Duplin, and Sampson area. 3rd son John William (changed his last to Byrd after his mother Rebecca died) born in 1848 married Martha Ann Thornton and had five sons and three daughters. 4th son Benjamin Franklin born in 1849 (also changed his last name to Byrd when Rebecca died) married Rebecca Elizabeth Caison. They raised their children in Clinton. Census record 1850 and 1860 show these two boys as Anders/Andrews.
In July of 1850, Henry Anders dies and has about 350 acres to his name. He had a tenant farmer/turpentiner who worked for him named Gabriel Wellington Byrd. Byrd harvested the pine trees on Henry’s land along Six Runs Rd. In Henry’s Estate Will, most of his property and personal items went to his wife, Catherine Ann. Some seed crop and livestock went towards paying off debt. John Kenan Darden was the Administrator of the Will; he was paid in livestock and pigs for this duty. On October 7, 1851, G.W. Byrd and Areney Anders (Catherine Anne Hope Anders and Henry’s widow) signed a marriage contract that is recorded in The Sampson County Deed Book 31, Page 166. The contract indicated that Mrs. Areney Anders planned to take Gabriel Byrd into her house as her husband and that he was not to have any rights to her property, nor could he charge her children room and board. However, on June 22, 1852, about six months after the for mentioned contract was signed, Gabriel Byrd and his wife, Irena (Areney or Catherine) took out a mortgage for $200.00 on her dower rights to the 120 acres of land left to her by her previous husband Henry Anders. The mortgage was given to Isaac W. Lane to whom Gabriel and Irena also sold two mares, twenty-six hogs, and a cart and buggy. In exchange, Lane was to provide Byrd with security for a $12.80 note to Calvin Boyette, a $7 note to John Darden, $16 to James King, $25-$30 to Warren Johnson, $40-$50 to Peter Troublefield and two notes to Lane. One note for $58.78, and the other for $20.00. This mortgage is recorded in Sampson County Deed Book 31, Pg. 164. When Catherine dies in 1865, Byrd sold the rest of the land to Bryan Daughtry and Thomas Bradshaw who was farming the lower graveyard field where Henry and Catherine and some of their infant children are buried. Gabriel moves to north Clinton, to take another widow. He married four times, acquiring the willed property and money of each bride.
He had twenty children, not counting the five children he had with Rebecca Elizabeth Jackson, who also had children with Henry. Rebecca filed for child support in 1840 for William Bryant Jackson, born in 1835 and was the son of Gabriel. She was awarded $8.00 a month. He then has four children with Catherin Ann Hope Anders after they wed in 1850 –1860.
The Department of Archives and History houses some of Henry Anders’ estate papers. They include an inventory made on August 25, 1850. The papers also show that Gabriel Byrd rented the “old field” from the minor heirs of Henry Anders on December 27, 1852 for $5. He rented from the heirs 2,000 turpentine boxes on December 27, 1853 for $14.50, and on May 27, 1854 he rented the boxes again for $20.00. His name was spelled “Gaberl” in the last transaction.
The 2 d son of Whitmel and Rebecca is James born in 1814. His first wife was Cassie Ann Weeks. (The Weeks family that currently resides off Darden/Carr Church/Hunter Roads). They had four sons and one daughter.1st William Arthur born in 1844 married Nancy Ann Hobbs. After his death in 1885 he was buried in field behind the home place off of Darden Rd. Nancy took most of the children and moved to Colquitt, Georgia. One of William Arthur’s sons, Herbert Hubbard moved to Goldsboro and another son, Ira Bennett, settled in Wilmington, NC where he married Lazitte Lasette. 2nd James Kenan was born in 1848 and married Nancy King, they had no children, 2nd wife and sister to Nancy, Nellie King they had 3 girls and one boy William Lafayette, 3rd wife Sophia Jane King sister to Nancy and Nellie, they had one boy Herman Andrews; 3rd Bennett Edward was born in 1853 and married Mary Danieley they had no children, 2nd wife Georgia Ann Price, they had 2 girls and 2 boys, Herman Cleveland moved to Winston-Salem, and other son William Henry moved to De Leon, Volusia, Florida. and on to Duval, Florida.. 4th John Henry born in 1857 who presumably died young for the absence of record? The second wife of James was Susan Ann Barfield of White Oak, Duplin County, where they lived until his death. They had no children. James is buried in the Barfield Cemetery in White Oak.
The 3rd son of Whitmel and Rebecca is William Andrews born in 1819. He married Susan M. Vann of Taylor Bridge Road. He bought land off of Hwy 403 just SW of Darden Road. He left for Mississippi in 1855 and sold 400 acres of land to Henry Dewey Lewis born in 1820 who married Nancy Stevens. Henry Lewis named the lake on the property Lake Artesia after his mother Artesia Oates Stevens born 1782. William also gave land to Sampson County Community School known today as Hargrove Middle School. He and Susan had three daughters and three sons. William moved to Jasper, Mississippi in 1855. In 1864 he died in the Civil War in Macon, Ga. His descendants are spread throughout Texas, California, to Washington State.
The 4th son of Whitmel and Rebecca is Alfred, born in 1826. He died in 1910 and is buried in the Howell Family Cemetery located in Grantham, Wayne County. He married Mary Jane Weeks. (The same Weeks family that currently resides on Darden/Carr Church/Hunter Roads). They have one son who dies six months after birth followed by two daughters in 1856, Cassie Adeline and Amie Elizabeth. Cassie married William Rufus Sutton, of Suttontown, and Amie Elizabeth married Thomas Jay Lathan Wiggins, of the Suttontown area. Alfred was a Private in the Civil War from 1 December 1862 to 1 December 1863, Company Batty A, North Carolina Co. A 2nd Light Artillery Battery, Sampson, North Carolina,
(Note: 5th son looks to have died at infancy)
The surnames Anders and Andrews of Sampson County are of the same man Whitmel Andrews. Originating from Scotland and speaking Gaelic, names were often changed or misinterpreted due to dialect and accents. The Census of 1850 shows names as Andrews, and in 1860 it reflects Anders. All sons that served in the Civil War are listed as Andrews.
Three other references to Andrews in Sampson County in 1700 are Peter Andrews, who came out of Jones County in 1800 and buys land east of Newton Grove. He dies and his wife sells the land and moves back to Jones County he comes out of Thomas Andrews of Surry, Vir. Another was William Andrews, who purchased 200 acres of land on the left side of HWY 701, just outside of Clinton. He sold the land in 1769 and moved on. John Andrews/Anders is granted 320 acres in the Harrells area. His descendants live in the Ivanhoe area and also in Bladen County his link goes back to William Andrews of Northamption Vir. These three men have no direct link to Whitmel. There is possibly a connection in Virginia, where most early settlers came from the Jamestown and Isle of Wright area.
During 375 years of living in America, three brothers out of Whitmel used Andrews. Henry, John Bryant, and Joseph Bernice used Anders. As evidenced in census records and deeds from Virginia and Sampson County, we can see how the last names changed from one to the other. As per DNA tests taken by myself, Elmon Curtis Anders and Phillip Andrews of Washington, it has been determined that we are a part of the same lineage. He is out of William, born of Whitmel and Rebecca, and I am out of Henry. I have had several people email and chat about their line that also match our DNA and are grouped in our Subgroup B. Some from Thomas Andrews of Surry and some from William of Northamption.
This is all of us first man to arrive in England, All the Andrews/Anders/Andrus/Andos ect, comes from this man who arrived in England abt 1066 with William the Conquer of France(who was a Viking who Conquered France prior to Conquering England 1066), Sir (Knight) Robert Andrews/Andrus is from Normandy, France bn abt 1046, Settled in Winwick, North Hamptionshire, England abt 1067, just north of London, Yes, Sir Andrews, a Knight in French Courts, and Knights in the English courts for about 3 hundred years, during the Dark and Middle Ages, All the Andrews ect (abt 30) that came to the American Colonies (Between 1616 and 1670) came from 4 Shires(counties) in England, Cambridge, Rutland, Cumberland, and North Hamption, these four shires are like Johnston, Wayne, Sampson and Cumberland, with North Hamption in center, Look at who the son of Robert , married Daughter of Sir Martin Brewer, funny how Anders/Andrews live together today.This Info is in the book History of England(online)
The baronetage of England: or The History of the English baronets, … – Google Books
William Andrews (b.1498) m Miss Knight (b.1503)
Thomas Andrews Jr (1468-1530) m. Elizabeth Poultney (1470)
3rd he married Emma Knightly (William is the half-brother of Thomas III)
Thomas Andrews (1437 – 1496) m 1467 Joan (Margery) (b.1446) Clarell
Richard Andrews b.1404 m. Catherine Burbeck
John Andrews b.1373 in Kilsby, Northamptonshire, m.1403 Joan Wells
Anthony Andrews b.1340 m. Anne Thurston
Ralph Andrews b.1316 m. 1334 Anne Swinborne
Ralph Andrews (24th Generation) b. 1294 m. Joan Wetnall
George Andrews (Esquire) 1194 m. Burford ( Baron Burford’s daughter.)
Sir Thomas Andrews (Knight) b. Abt 1163, Winwick, m. Breasey
Sir Thomas Andrews, (Knight) b. Abt 1139 m.Corteney b.1141 (John’s dau)
Sir John Andrews (Knight) b.1108 m. Norton (Sir John’s dau)
Sir Robert Andrews (Knight) b.1077 m. Brewer (Sir Martin’s dau)
Sir Robert Andrews (D’Audrieu)(abt.1046) m. 1071 Winwick ( Sir Robert’s dau)
Robert Born in Normandy, France, Arrived in England with William the Conquerer 1066.
Following is an extract from the Coat of Arms Book located in London, England.
The surnames, Andrew, Andros, Andreas, Andrus, Andrews, Andrieux, and Andre, are derivations of the biblical name, Andrew, and have passed down through successive generations and centuries as a distinct family name.The ancestors of the Andrews family o The Manorial Estates of Alexton,in the County of Leicester, and of Pisbroke, in the County of Rutland, England, originally came from France during the Norman dynasty. Representatives of this family took an active part in the First Crusade in Palestine, 11097, under Duke Robert, of Normandy; and in a later Crusade at the battle of Salado in Valencia, they assisted Sir James Douglas to defend the silver casket containing the heart of King Robert of Scotland, when he threw the casket before him, exclaiming: “Now, thou, pass thou onward as thou wert ever wont to do, and Douglass will follow thee or die!” Sir James was killed, but the heart was saved, and those who took part in this action were entitled to bear on their crest a lion holding a heart in his paw. the heart was saved, and those who took part in this action were entitled to bear on their crest a lion holding a heart in his paw. By the grant of arms to Anthony Andrews, recorded in the Heralds College of Arms, London, October 28, 1583, the history and rank of the family is described heraldically by the emblazonry and insignia on their arms. (See frontispiece.) The charges on the shield, “Azure, a crossermine, between fleurs de lis gold,” indicate the origin of the family in France and of their having taken part in the early Crusade. The Crest, “On a torse silvervand azure a demi-lion, the tails forked gold, a crown argent, and holding in his dexter paw a heart gules,” represents an acknowledgment for distinguished military services during the Crusades. The Helmet and Mantling — “Mantled gules double argent. Helmet in profile argent five bars gold”— as shown in the emblazoned arms, in the College of Arms, London, indicates that the family was an eminent and distinguished one in England. These arms are supposed to have been borne by this family before the College of Arms was established in 1483. They were reissued and placed on record there, in accordance with the rules, orders, and regulations of Heraldry established during the reign of Queen Elizabeth.
References used in this document were provided by: Ancestry.com, familysearch.org, NC Digital Library, Sampson County Register of Deeds, Land Grants and maps of Sampson County, Public Court records of Sampson County, and Google Maps. 1 May 2014